ABOUT > CAREERS
Occupational Therapy and Rehabilitation Careers in Edmonton
Join Our Growing Team
Action Occupational Therapy, Inc.
Action Occupational Therapy Inc. is dedicated to providing occupational therapy assessments and interventions to assist individual clients and groups with chronic pain, mental health difficulties, and activity limitations to recover from and adapt to their issues and to realize their goals.
Action Occupational Therapy Inc. actively pursues excellence in service by providing evidence-based client-centered assessments and rehabilitation programs, and through ongoing participation in professional development.
We are seeking a talented, exceptionally skilled, and passionate individual to join our team who shares our values of professionalism, integrity, compassion, and respect. You will be working with clients who are recovering from injuries and disabilities to help them regain their abilities. Duties will include conducting functional biopsychosocial assessment of clients, assessing their work and home environments, and developing and implementing reactivation and rehabilitation programs.
We hire contractors and employee occupational therapists. Flexible part-time hours provide the opportunity to schedule your work schedule and your clients around other commitments to maintain a healthy life balance.
Occupational Therapist Responsibilities
- Conduct functional biopsychosocial assessments of clients and develop or follow a treatment plan.
- Assess client’s home and work environments and recommend accommodations and equipment to help clients with daily activities.
- Develop physical and functional rehabilitation programs, incorporate graded exposure, and help clients regain lost skills.
- Prepare and support clients for return-to-work or volunteering.
- Educate and support our client’s formal and informal caregivers and family members.
- Evaluate objective and subjective client progress and outcomes.
- Report writing based on Action OT standards.
- Maintain professional knowledge and technical progress in order to provide clients with the most effective treatment program available.
- Comply with federal, provincial, and local certification requirements.
- Provide training and education to co-workers, clients, and third-party partners on a variety of subjects, from administrative tasks, such as how to use the online scheduling tools, to more in-depth topics, such as developing and providing OT educational in-services.
- Assist in building and maintaining the company’s network of quality mental health and rehabilitation community resources and partners.
- Liaise with third party partners to ensure a seamless case management process with measurable outcomes and metrics.
- Participate in team meetings, in-house training, and team development activities, as required.
- Support clinicians with a variety of other tasks as needed.
Occupational Therapist Qualifications
- Degree in Rehabilitation Medicine specializing in Occupational Therapy or equivalent (MSc(OT) or equivalent) from a recognized institution.
- Licensed with the Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT).
- Possess liability insurance with SAOT or CAOT.
- Minimum 6 years of experience practicing as an occupational therapist in a clinic and/or community environment.
- Demonstrate specialization with complex chronic pain and mental health difficulties through education, workshops, and related experience with individual clients and groups.
- Possess up-to-date knowledge of functional reactivation programs and motivational approaches to facilitate change.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Strong therapy skills and willing to think outside the box, when appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written) demonstrating respect and compassion.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage clients with various medical and psychological conditions.
- Ability to manage conflicts and challenges in a positive, constructive manner.
- Ability to develop and maintain both rapport and respect with the occasional client who may have challenging personalities and traumatic past life experiences.
- Comfortable using a computer for various tasks.
- Ability to use observation skills to assess the client’s condition at each encounter and to follow or adapt treatment plans, based on the client’s needs.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Memberships in SAOT and CAOT are preferred.
- A negative security clearance will be required at time of hire
Applicants who are interviewed will be asked to provide three professional references.